Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Dissemination--Why Netflix?



This is where the breaking of conventions begins and I am feeling rebellious (hahaha)...

I am requires to disseminate my documentary through television, but I am choosing to disseminate it through a streaming service--Netflix. Why am I choosing this? Well this is my answer.

Netflix is able to reach a broader audience through its accessibility and vast choices for the consumer. This gives me an opportunity to create major exposure for my documentary through a ready-to-watch platform. Disseminating my documentary through Netflix also appeals to my target audience of generation z's and millennials, for a huge part of Netflix's audience includes a range of 17-35 year olds. I am also formatting my documentary to break the conventions of that of a typical televised documentary, in that I am eliminating the factor of having a voice over, for that creates a dragged formality that does not appeal to my  target audience. Netflix documentaries tend to break these conventions as well, for they progress their narrative through their interviews and content, such as a "Iris", a Netflix produced film on fashion.

In other words long live netflix!


Resources:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/8-documentaries-on-netflix-that-go-behind-the-scenes-of-the-entertainment-industry_us_57323638e4b016f3789756f3
http://fortune.com/2016/03/27/netflix-predicts-taste/

No comments:

Post a Comment