Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Color as a stylistic choice

Color. I want to use it very badly in my documentary. This is how I will use it without manipulating the outcome of my documentary. No bias. Just a stylistic decision.

Story is that once upon a time I was watching "500 Days of Summer" for the 5th time (but now as an aware media studies student haha) and I was infatuated by the color manipulation of the piece and the symbolism behind each color used to represent each character. It made the piece look beautiful and I want to achieve that beauty for my piece or at least incorporate that aspect of color through my documentary. Now, I know that these colors were heavily symbolic (blue for Summer, brown for Tom and the inclusion of the colors in the background of each scene) and highly manipulative of the piece itself, but I will not be using the colors as a manipulation to my piece. I want to use different lightbulbs of several hues of a same cool side of the color wheel to differentiate the indirect formal interviews from the rest of the footage (the framing will also be the same for each formal interview), I also want each color to represent a certain couple just for the differentiating of each couple's interview (and for the movie poster, blog post for this coming up next). 

This will be all done as a stylistic choice to make my film more aesthetically pleasing and to treat myself!!

sources:
https://filmschoolrejects.com/we-dont-belong-together-the-500-days-of-summer-color-palette-theory-a50b2d3728a6#.e3vo4scqy

No comments:

Post a Comment